Wednesday, June 19, 2013

from the Tumblr, seven months ago

I really want to do a comparative narrative or linguistic analysis of evangelical Christian conversion testimonies and queer coming out stories.
It’s a relatively simple project to research. Sharing testimonies is something I’ve found Christian groups do all the time, and plenty of queer people share stories about the process of coming out, so the stories are there. I know I personally have rehearsed both stories of my own in my head, even though I’ve never shared them formally, so I wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of people would be willing to tell their stories.
Plus since it’s a narrative form it’d probably be relatively easy to record (and thanks to my work at Sonic I’m now relatively good at transcribing recordings to text), so the data collection wouldn’t be too hard.
The only problem is that I know nothing of the literature already related to the subject, and I don’t have any clue even which department to go to that would have a professor interested in mentoring me to do this research. (Obviously gender studies and religion would be a good place to start…this would actually make a good thesis were I a gender studies major/minor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment