Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Everything's coming up roses!

The title sounds optimistic, but that's primarily because things are working out well.
First, I have started interviews! I have interviewed three people so far (all gay men, two of whom are married to each other). I have yet to talk about testimonies though, even though I had an opportunity last night which I will discuss later.
Second, I have moved to a rest-of-the-summer place! The place I was staying, while the people were nice, was quite a bit further from downtown Asheville and wasn't going to be available next week, though it was available August. The new place my parents actually found; my dad posted on Facebook and got directed to them. My hosts recently moved to a new place, and it's a large house up on a mountain in North Asheville. I have a roomy suite on the bottom floor, and the rent isn't bad either! My hosts are extremely nice and I feel right at home, though their dogs are a bit skeptical of me. (I also needed to have a latch on my door because I'm allergic to dogs and didn't want them in my space.)
The location is perfect. I can get downtown (or to parking downtown) in five to ten minutes, and I'm a short jog (through gorgeous green mountain scenery) from a Walgreens, an Ingles, and a Fresh Market. I may even start exercising in the morning!
Third, I went to the dinner in Weaverville that I mentioned last post. It was pretty far out of the city, but the area was beautiful and green and hilly. While there, I met several other guys (Christian guys) who had also been invited, and ate a delicious (if sauceless because I'm vegetarian) spaghetti meal.  At the meal, I was asked to share my testimony (which I did, I guess, though I don't think it was comprehensive), and then the husband/father of the family whose house it was offered to have the other guys share their testimonies. I hadn't brought my recorder and had left my consent forms in the car, and so I demurred. Hopefully that's an open invitation, though.
Afterward, we went outside and swung on a rope swing (which was SO AWESOME; I thought I was afraid of heights but I went ahead and jumped and it was awesome). The husband/father of the family also had a wood workshop in the basement, and we fired an ether-fueled potato gun twice, though we tried many more times and failed to get the right air-to-ether mixture.
There were three guys who were guests there with me; one of them worked with the husband/father of the family in his electrician business, while the other two are business partners who make electric tricycles that are somewhat competitors for motorcycles or mopeds. They all were a couple years out of college and unmarried. They, along with the family, are members of a house church that meets on Saturdays in Weaverville; hopefully next Saturday (July 27) I'll be able to attend.
I'm also going to a community group for the church I went to Sunday, also up in Weaverville, this evening. That should be interesting! I'll be sure to bring the recorder, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment