Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Home Stretch

The students at the University of North Carolina at Asheville have returned and today is their second day of classes. On one hand, this is great because it means I have an opportunity to interview a lot of highly interconnected people. On the other, this is a warning that my time here is almost up; in 11 days I'll be going home, and I've already spend my last weekend. (I'm going home for Pride this weekend, and I'm going home for good the Saturday after.)
I've finally gotten a little more variety in my interviews. I have interviewed a woman about her testimony (though one person is not enough to identify trends, and there's nothing that jumped out about her story as totally different.) I still need to find queer ladies and nonmonosexual queers if I want to make this fully LGBTQ rather than a bunch of G and one T.
I hope that UNCA students who I interview can have more variety in these areas.
On the subject of my lost data: It looks like I won't be able to recover it for less than $700 dollars (and it's probably more), and then I wouldn't be able to get it in time. I only lost three or four interviews, and I've tried to recall what I could of them.
Interestingly, it's looking like I actually would have been (almost) able to afford it; I've actually been successful at making the grant last, and will have several hundred dollars left over. In part, I think that's a symptom of my failure to get as many interviews as I wished at first, because buying another twenty people Starbucks would have made a dent, but another part of it has been my cheap eating habits. (I don't know how sustainable subsisting primarily off of pasta, rice, Parmesan cheese, and Bolthouse Farms smoothies is health-wise, but it seems to be functioning well enough now.)
I think I'm going to wait on the deep introspection stuff until the next post, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment